Program delivery and objectives
Caring Dads is a voluntary program, delivered by highly skilled practitioners.
Kids First is the lead agency for Caring Dads and has partnerships in place to deliver the program across Victoria:
- North East Melbourne - Kids First in partnership with Uniting
- Inner Gippsland and Western Melbourne - Anglicare
The Caring Dads program comprises:
- a 17-session, empirically-based group-parenting intervention for fathers
- systematic outreach to mothers to ensure their safety and freedom from coercion
- ongoing, collaborative case management of fathers with existing service providers and other professionals involved with fathers’ families.
- enhance fathers’ motivation to change their behaviours
- promote child-centred fathering
- address fathers’ ability to engage in respectful, non-abusive parenting with the mothers of their children
- recognise that children’s experience of trauma will impact their development
- work collaboratively with other service providers to ensure that children benefit (and are not unintentionally harmed) because of their father’s participation in the program.
- To develop sufficient trust and motivation to engage men in the process of examining their fathering
- To increase fathers’ awareness and application of child-centred fathering
- To increase fathers’ awareness of, and responsibility for, abusive and neglectful fathering and the impact of this on their children
- To rebuild trust with children and plan for the future.